Saturday, August 30, 2014

The first thoughts of a first time in Paris (the beginning)

The last six days of touristy pictures at the Arc de Triomphe, eating my first glorious macaron, and meeting more amazing people than I thought possible has more than made up for the plane ride from LAX to Charles de Gaulle here in Paris, France. If I thought saying goodbye to my parents at the airport was hard enough, the near panic attack I had as the plane took off was unbearable. I'm not a fan of flying, but that wasn't the issue; once the plane began leaving the tarmac, I knew this entire semester was becoming a reality. No longer would I sit on the couch and watch bad TV with my mom or have wine night with my high school girlfriends or call my boyfriend for a night in of movies and cooking. The fear was real, guys. Little did I know, in that intense moment of horror and regret, that the next week or so would prove how amazing Paris would be.

When I finally arrived at my new home, a tiny white-washed room with two beds, a kitchenette for babies, and a shower even too small for me, I was wide-eyed and excited despite hardly sleeping on my red-eye from Toronto to CDG. I had already met some nice people, spoken some mediocre French to the cabdriver, and walked through the drizzling rain. I was pretty much already a true Parisian. The view from my window, which includes a small shelf that barely fits my butt for perfect afternoon reading, was the first thing I noticed in the rather rundown studio. Since moving in, my tiny room has been host to many a gatherings of cheese and bread parties and mandatory gossip talks. It's not exactly home... but it'll do.

Despite a small four am meltdown (I realized it was dinnertime at home and felt left out) Paris has made me happier than I expected, between the food, shopping, and blossoming friendships. I've managed to buy food at a grocery store, survive my first day of French class, and purchase my first drink at a bar (so fancy). The most surprising thing so far has been the friendliness of the French people; everyone is more than happy to speak a little Frenglish with you. It has only been six days but it feels like six weeks - I haven't decided if that's a good or bad thing. Only time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment