Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Catching up: family visits and my mysterious absence

I suppose I can't call my absence from blogging "mysterious" since everyone who reads this blog (aka my parents and my boyfriend when I remind him) is probably my friend on Facebook and saw by my massive photo dump that the last three weeks or so have been a blur of studying for midterms, showing my family around Paris, and then jetting off to Italy for a week. I'd say I have some pretty good excuses. But after spending the last couple of days recuperating (Netflix and pajamas), I'm cracking my knuckles and getting back to typing. At least, a short blog about my family before I start the novel that will be my post(s) on Italy.

Just about halfway through my semester, my parents and lil sis hopped on a direct flight from LAX to CDG to visit my beautiful face. I was really excited, not just to see them, but to show them around my new "home" and my favorite places. Of course, they had their own ideas of fun things to do (*cough cough* the Louvre is overrated!), but for the most part we compromised on the best things to do with just a short week in the City of Light. They rented a teeny tiny apartment on the Île St. Louis, right near the Notre Dame, which was a great location. It's quiet, but close to the Marais and Latin Quarter so things were definitely in walking distance. Our first stop was obviously food (duh); there is nothing better than being a college student and having your parents take you out for a meal - you can literally order whatever you want. I was in for a treat. Most of the week was spent wandering the streets: we headed over to Montmartre one afternoon, my favorite arrondissement. We saw a band playing live music on the street and went in to different thrift stores before seeing the Sacre-Cœur. Unfortunately, it was a cold, foggy night and the view isn't what it usually is from the hills of Montmartre. I didn't mind doing the things I had already done before: Disneyland, The Musée Orangerie, Brussels; I was happy to share the things I had been experiencing with someone from home. I'm sure it's much different reading it on my blog and seeing it in person.

Disneyland was more crowded than last time, but the show was just as magical. I even got souvenirs this time! (P.S. Thank you parents). I was happy to get more Belgian fries and chocolate, but the city didn't enchant me quite like it did last time; perhaps I was too exhausted from the combination of midterms and my crazy, exhausting family. We did some new, exciting things as well! I went to the top of the Eiffel Tower. OK, so I only went to the 2nd floor, but the view was still lovely. I'm not sure it's completely worth the long line, but I figured I had to do it at least once. It would be especially nice to do at dusk, but the lines are probably crazy long then. Just a few weeks ago, glass floor panels were put in on the 1st floor so you can look down to the ground from above, and I managed to forget about them until I got back to safety (read: ground). I'm kicking myself for missing the picture opportunities, but I probably would have peed my pants. The best part (besides seeing my fam) was the food. I never go to expensive restaurants since I'm a poor student in France and everything is expensive, but when parents go on vacay you know it's splurge time. I had countless scoops of the famous Berthillon ice cream (salted butter caramel and black sesame mmm), fried duck with crispy potatoes, beef bourguignon, escargot, éclairs (eaten at the Eiffel Tower cuz we fancy), and even foie gras. Apparently I forgot how to camera though because I have no pictures to show for my week of feasting. Just close your eyes and imagine...

Despite my family's penchant for annoying me to no end, I was happy to see them and share my Parisian experience with them. I'm a baby and have never spent so long away from them, but being on my own in a new country has made me feel like I can conquer the world. Doesn't mean I don't need some hugs from momma every once in a while :)

No comments:

Post a Comment